Wednesday, June 15, 2011

1/2 marathon




About 3 months ago, I decided I was going to run a 1/2 marathon. First let me say, this is commitment. But if anyone knows me, once I get my mind set on something, there is no stopping me. Stubborn yes, Type A - most definitely, crazy - some had told me before.

When I started training all I could think of was what an accomplishment this will be. I also wanted to do it for my kids. So they know that being mid 30's having 2 young kids, working full time and having hobbies and personal goals are all possible.

When I first started running I could not run more than 3 minutes. My lungs hurt, my legs felt like weights. I set a reasonable goal of running 3x a week. My goal was to get up to running 3-5 miles twice a week during the week and then running my long run on the weekends. Every week I would add a mile to my long run. If I felt it was too much I would just repeat my prior weeks long run distance.

By mid April I was up to 10 miles without stopping. I was slow - at about a 10 minute mile, but I was doing it. I remember the first time I ran the 13.1 miles. I was so happy, exhausted and proud. I did it. I really did it. It was the day after I turned 34 - May 2nd. I was so happy. It felt like the biggest accomplish in my life. I had a 1/2 mile walk from the end of my run to home. I was smiling like no other. I wanted to shout out to the world. It was this run that I also knew I could do this.

1 month later I ran the San Diego Rock N Roll 1/2 marathon. The course was beautiful. They shut down the 163 freeway and you are able to run through balboa park and down to Sea World. I admit I was taking it all it. I did not give it my all. But I wanted to enjoy myself. I was not it in it win it, but rather finish. I ran the first 10 miles without stopping. At mile 10-12 I ran and walked some. When I finished the end of the race, I felt exhausted. I was a 1/2 marathoner now.

No comments:

Post a Comment