Saturday, January 14, 2012

Starting off on a fresh foot

Now that I am approaching 35, I have been thinking more and more about lifestyle changes. What do I need to do to ensure that I am in as least pain as possible when I am on my death bed.

I know it sounds morbid, but let's be honest we all want to live a long life with little aches and pains.

My dad is very active and eats for the most part fairly healthy. He is almost 63 years old. He still bicycles 60 + miles every weekend. I love that. My grandfather was also very active. In his 60's and 70's he was running 10k's. The last few years of my grandfathers life were uncomfortable. but to live into your 80's and only have a few years of pain - AWESOME!!!

I also have been thinking about my children's health. Lately there has been so many articles and research into eating more raw foods and less processed foods. Foods we used to think of as being good for us (ie: bottled apple juice, milk and eggs) are turning out filled with toxic chemicals due to fertilizers.

A few weeks ago I watched a movie called Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. I highly recommend you watch it. The story line goes like this... sick man decides to make a lifestyle change and document his journey while traveling across the U.S. interviewing average people about their eating habits. It really is an eye opener.

I have decided I am going to attempt a 5 or 10 day Juice Fast.  I haven't decided on the length because I don't want to commit if it is too hard. I also have not decided on when I am going to start it (but I promise it will be soon).

I recently purchased a Juicer. It arrived today. I had not prepared for it's delivery, so all I had in my refrigerator was weeks old baby carrots, celery and 1 zucchini. I tested it out by juicing it all. It was not the most fabulous tasting juice, but it was decent.  I think if I add some fruit it will be better. Each of the kids had a few decent gulps. I ended up finishing the glass.

I am super anxious to go grocery shopping tomorrow for some great juicing fruit and vegetables.


Here is a pick of my handy juicer and Savannah testing it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment