Sunday, October 17, 2010

Kitchen Makeover






Let me start my saying that I never liked our kitchen. We purchased our house at the peak of the real estate market 5 years ago. At the time, we scoured the homes for sale within our budget, and the house we settled on was a little smaller than others we had looked at, but it had everything we wanted in a home (location, location, location) except an attractive kitchen. There were some upgrades the previous owner had put into the home. One of them being great tile flooring and upgraded stainless steel appliances.

A year after moving into our home, I had accidentally damaged the cheap flat laid laminate countertops. To my defense it was not my fault. I probably should have pursued the grocery store that decided to place a partially sealed CLR bottle in the grocery bag that leaked and damaged my countertops, but that is another story.

Last year right before our 2nd child was born, I scraped together some extra money and researched and finally convinced my husband to install new countertops with my handy dad's assistance. I found some inexpensive granite tile on Ebay and had it freight shipped to my house. A weekend was set aside, and after 48 hours we had a new countertops. Notice I said 48 hours because it was done at warp speed (aka - my dad's speed).


Suffice to say the color of the cabinets (yuck), Burgundy, wine, red whatever you want to call it was still making me cringe. Given that we cook 21 of our 21 meals at home (the main way we are able to save money with 2 kids in daycare), it was hard to avoid.

So the day finally came. Last weekend we were going to be getting our cabinets painted (notice I said getting, because my husband did not have a fun time with the countertops, we were not going to do it ourselves). Cabinet doors came off, the paint began and then stopped. The color we had chosen was too purple. Not what we wanted after having dealt with burgundy cabinets for 5 years. After a few test tries and altering colors, we finally came to the perfect color. Yesterday we had the doors put back on with now european hinges, and beautiful brushed chrome hardware. Beautiful!!! I love them. I love my kitchen. I can't wait to have some friends over for some cocktails and dinner. (disregard to the chairs - we are getting new black one's)

No comments:

Post a Comment