
Ok.... so I am a huge pizza lover. I think it stems back to my childhood where we enjoyed pizza on Friday nights - It was always one of those EXTRA EXTRA LARGE Pizza's that would take up half the counter space - I think they were 56" pizza. Then when I graduated High School, I went to work at an authentic Italian Restaurant where they made real Pizza. You know the kind where you see the guys throwing the pizza dough up into the air... that one. I would watch in amazement, I even tried a couple times to learn to stretch the dough with the throw, but some how always ended up with a hole in my dough. I did love taking home the yummy pizza. One of the perks to working at a family owned restaurant, you could get a free meal every day and drink wine while you worked (shhh don't tell).
I am always looking for fun, cheap and good tasting food to feed to my family. I have done the pre-made Boboli pizza crust - but when you add up the toppings, it is not any cheaper than those you can have delivered.
The other day I was wandering down the Italian food aisle - again my favorite place to be... when I caught my eye on a bag of pizza dough - it said "Just Add Water" - simple enough, I thought I would try it - after all is was only $.70, I also grabbed a jar of Pizza sauce for $1 (enough to make 2 pizzas) and some sliced salami for $3 (salami will last in refrigerator and is enough to make 3 pizzas) and then some shredded cheese on sale for $2. The breakdown is a little under $5 per pizza.
I came home - asked Savannah if she wanted to help (of course she did). Added the water to the dough formed it in a little ball - let the yeast rise after 5 minutes and then spread it out on a pan ( If you are like me you only have cookie sheets - don't worry these work just as well). I let Savannah place on the toppings and cooked for 10 minutes... drumroll please.... presto - we have a yummy tasting homemade pizza that was fun to make with the kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment