Some of you know that I had to face a difficult decision in August. It is one that I struggle with off and on, even now.
I had to give up running. It's not like I had been a runner for life, but it was always my staple of exercise since my soccer days. Even though the training was difficult for the RNR 1/2 marathon I did in June, the endorphins and feeling of accomplishment afterwards were well worth every pain and time consumed training for it.
Because of my Interstitial Cystitis, I had to find something with less impact. That constant foot pounding was no bueno for my bladder. (It only took be 5 months and millions of trip to the urologist to come to that conclusion). Also many nights and days in tears praying asking for relief. I can honestly say it was the roughest part of my life. One that I hope never to revisit.
I took 30 days off to rest my bladder and get myself back to where I was before I started the training. Then I slowly introduced the elliptical at the gym. It is a little bitter sweet because I see those women on the treadmill (which happens to be directly in front of the elliptical) brings a tear to my eye. I often ask why?? I am only 34, and I feel young, I feel like I can do anything. But then God sends me a sign and I see a man at the store with only 1 leg, or an obese person who can barely walk. It puts it all in perspective. He shows me that I should be thankful for what I do have, for my abilities or gifts that I currently have and not what I should or could have.
I know it sounds cliche, but those 5 months brought me closer to God. More humble. I live my life knowing that I should be thankful for this pain free day. That I should be thankful for my family. Thankful for what I have and not always wanting what others have.
I could go on an on about what I have learned. Maybe I will revisit it in another post.
After hours of research I discovered that yoga, walking, swimming, pilates are all ok for those with IC.
I stumbled across this video-
It is amazing. 30 minutes of power yoga. I have never sweated so bad. If you are looking for the yoga that calms you - this is not it. This is a cardio yoga. I don't do it every day, but it is a nice mix up with a trip to the gym on the elliptical or a walk around the neighborhood. I highly recommend it. If you try it, tell me what you think. If you have any other yoga classes or videos that you would recommend, let me know.

No comments:
Post a Comment